We’re pretty much smack in the middle of summer and I’m determined to enjoy it while it lasts. Soon enough the leaves will be changing colour and we’ll be heading into the fall food trends (pumpkin anyone?), but in the meantime let’s enjoy some summer food and drinks. And if watermelon doesn’t fall into that category then I don’t know what does.
This refreshing summer drink requires only two ingredients, a blender, and of a course some patience while you let the melon freeze. I made mine with a mini watermelon and then used the outside as a cup, mostly because it just seemed fun.
I’ve made this twice now. The first time I froze the watermelon for about 4 hours, and the second time I froze it for closer to 8 hours. The 8 hour freezing time definitely resulted in something more slushy. But if you just want a cold refreshing drink and don’t mind if it’s more on the liquidy side, you could cut the freezer time down. It’s delicious either way.
- 1 Mini Watermelon
- 8 oz chilled champagne
- Cut the top off the watermelon and discard.
- Scoop out the flesh of the melon using a spoon and place into a medium sized bowl. Keep the rind for your "cup".
- Freeze watermelon flesh for 4 - 8 hours, depending on desired consistency.
- Remove watermelon from freezer and transfer to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. (See note)
- With blender off, add champagne. It will fizz. Once it settles, run blender on slowest speed until just combined.
- Pour into watermelon "cup" and enjoy!