Quinoa salad is one of my favourite things to pack for lunch. I don’t know why, but I’m just not really a sandwich for lunch kind of girl. I eat them for dinner occasionally, and I’ll eat them when I’m doing fieldwork. But in the office? I can’t even remember the last time I packed one. Salads, soups or leftovers though? Heck yeah.
This quinoa salad is packed full of flavour. The parsley gives it a nice fresh taste and the raw garlic in the dressing adds a bit of a kick. I’ve made this countless times and still can’t get enough of it. If you’re planning to bring this for lunch like I do, I would recommend bringing the dressing on the side and tossing it with the quinoa salad right before you eat it. That way the dried cranberries don’t soak up too much of the dressing and take on an odd soft texture.
I’ve adapted this recipe from one in an old issue of Best Health magazine. The original recipe also called for diced raw tomato. Raw tomato is one of the few foods I don’t like, so I didn’t include it in the recipe. However, if you’re a tomato fan I would assume you’d find it to be a tasty addition.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and let cool.
- In a large bowl toss cooled quinoa with cucumber, parsley and cranberries.
- In a small bowl mix together the remaining ingredients for the dressing.
- Add dressing to the quinoa mixture and toss.
- Serve immediately.