It seems like every year around this time I start thinking about making cheesecakes. So far my favourite cheesecake has to be the Gimme Some Oven Nutella cheesecake. This is a full size cheesecake, which while delicious, can be a bit of a pain to make. This year I decided to try my hand at a mini version, and put a little Easter spin on it. (Mini eggs anyone?) And let me say – success!
I really love the ease of mini cheesecakes. They require less baking time, they are easier to transport, and there is no dealing with water baths or leaking springform pans (my personal nemesis with full size cheesecake). Also, they’re a lot easier to share! I brought a batch of these into work and they went fast. Bringing in an entire cheesecake to the office and trying to share though – that’s a hassle you don’t want.
During baking, these Nutella cheesecakes will puff up a bit in the oven, but they will also settle/sink when you remove them and let them cool. This is okay, because you’ll be adding Nutella ganache to the top. Once they are decorated you won’t even be able to tell that the top isn’t flat.
This recipe makes about 24 Nutella cheesecakes. Depending on how much Oreo crust you use in each, and how much filling, you may see some variance. I’ve gotten anywhere from 21 to 24 when making this recipe.
- Oreo Crust
- 1½ cups Oreo baking crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temperature (two bricks)
- 1 cup Nutella
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Nutella
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Meanwhile, line two muffins pans (24 cups) with liners.
- Mix together ingredients for crust.
- Add approximately 1 tbsp (unpacked) of crust mix to each liner. Press down firmly with fingers.
- Bake crusts for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine cream cheese and 1 cup Nutella in bowl of stand mixer, using the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until completely combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Next, combine chocolate chips and ¼ cup whipping cream together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. If not fully melted, microwave in additional 15 second increments, stirring between each. Once melted, add to stand mixer and combine on low speed, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add eggs to cheesecake mixture one at a time on low speed. Only mix until just combined.
- Spoon cheesecake mixture into muffin pans, being careful not to overfill. There should be some room left between mixture and top of the liner.
- Bake at 325F for 20-25 min. Cheesecakes should still have a slight jiggle to them when you remove them. Don't bake longer than 25 minutes. They will finish setting when cooled.
- Let cheesecakes cool completely before topping.
- To make the ganache, heat Nutella and whipping cream in a double boiler* over low heat, whisking to combine. Once fully combined, spoon over cheesecakes, approximately 1 tbsp per cheesecake.
- Finally, top with mini eggs and enjoy.