I suppose instead of Chipotle Black Bean Salad I could also be calling this cleaning out my fridge and cupboards salad, but that doesn’t really sound as appetizing. I leave on Saturday to go the mountains for a week (yay vacation!) and I’ve been avoiding buying too many groceries in the meantime. It’s led to some interesting meals, and some lackluster ones, as well as the occasional winner like this.
I love this recipe because it really doesn’t use many ingredients, and quite a few you’re likely going to have on hand anyway. It’s just black beans, corn, cucumber, cilantro, chipotle peppers, sour cream, lime juice, and salt.
I used fresh corn for this recipe, boiled and cut off the cob. But canned will work just as well. If you’ve never cooked with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce before, I will warn you, they’re spicy. They have an amazing smoky and tangy flavour, but that definitely comes with some heat. When making the dressing I would start with half of a chipotle pepper if you’re not a huge fan of spicy, and then add peppers in 1/2 increments until it’s the heat level you want. If you went one half too far and find it too spicy, try adding in some more sour cream to temper the heat.
I did eat some of the black bean salad as leftovers the next day and it was still quite tasty, but for the best flavour and texture, I would recommend eating this the day you make it. Or if you’re going to have leftovers, save some of the dressing and dress it just before you eat it.
- 1 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2-4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 0.5-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- Combine black beans, corn, cucumber and cilantro in medium size bowl.
- To the bowl of a food processor add sour cream, lime juice, salt and ½ of a chipotle pepper. Run for 1 minute until completely combined.
- Test for desired level of spiciness. If you think you can handle more heat, add in more chipotle peppers in ½ pepper increments until you reach desired level of heat/flavour.
- Toss dressing with black mean mixture and serve.